Welcome to the Bangor Heritage Trail Audio Guide. Bangor has been at the centre of Ireland’s Christian Heritage from the fifth century onwards, and the holy men and women who studied and worshipped in this area have left an important and lasting legacy across Europe. According to legend, the unique spirituality of the area was first recognised by St. Patrick. The legend tells the story of how one night, while Patrick and his companions were camping in the area, ‘they beheld the valley filled with heavenly light and with a multitude of the host of heaven, they heard, as chanted forth from the voice of Angels, the psalmody of the celestial choir’. It is to this tradition that Bangor is described as ‘Vallis Angelorum’ – ‘The Valley of Angels’. Some years later, Comgall came to establish his famous foundation in the sixth century. A foundation that would become the nursery of saints and missionaries, giving Bangor a lasting legacy of Christianity that spread far across the continent.
This audio guide will tell the story of Bangor’s Christian Heritage, as it leads you to North Down Museum, Malachy’s Wall, Bangor Abbey itself, as well as St. Comgall’s Church, Bangor First Presbyterian and a walk through lovely Strickland’s Glen and along the Coast Road. This project was commissioned by Ards and North Down Borough Council, and was part funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
How to Access Your Free Downloadable Bangor Heritage Trail Audio Guide
Download to PC / Mac
To download your free Bangor Heritage Trail Audio Guide simply add to basket and complete the check out. The audio guide will download as a .zip folder containing the fourteen MP3 tracks that make up the Bangor Heritage Trail. Once downloaded you can copy the audio files to iTunes or your media player and enjoy!
Stream to Mobile Devices, Tablets and Computers
If you are on a mobile device or tablet, or if you would prefer not to download the guide, you can stream your guide for free using the player below:
- 001 Introduction – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 4:11
- 002 Malachy's Wall – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 3:04
- 003 Bangor Abbey – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 10:46
- 004 St. Comgall's Church – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 4:23
- 005 Strickland's Glen – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 1:17
- 006 Smelt Mill Bay – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 8:13
- 007 The Coast Road – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 3:05
- 008 First Presbyterian Church – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 6:07
- 009 The Walled Garden – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 2:15
- 010 Conclusion – Bangor Heritage Trail Abarta Heritage 4:46